Thursday, March 12, 2009

Daylight Savings Time

I'm not too fond of Daylight Savings Time. I used to be, before I had children, and it was only my schedule that I had to adjust. A couple of days later and I was good to go. But with children it is a completely different ball of wax.

Before Kids (BK) I loved turning the clock an hour back. We got another hour to goof off and play. We got another hour of sleep in the morning. It was beautiful. BK I hated springing forward an hour. I lost an hour of sleep and I was groggy. It didn't help that I didn't go to bed an hour early...who actually does that?!?

After Kids (AK) things have totally flipped around. Kids don't sleep in! They continue to get up at their normal time. So setting the clock an hour back ensures that my children will wake up an hour earlier. 6:00 instead of 7:00. It doesn't matter how long I keep them up the night before, they'll still wake up at their normal time...but an hour earlier. However, setting the clock an hour ahead in the spring is BEAUTIFUL! My kids sleep in an hour and we have to wake them up for school in the morning.

It is now 5 days after we sprung ahead and the kids are still sleeping in. So nice. Maybe this will be the year that they continue to sleep in until 8:00-8:15 all summer long and then in the fall, when we fall back, they'll revert to getting up at 7:00-7:15. I'll let you all know how it goes.

No comments: