Saturday, December 27, 2008

Christmas Day Visit

We always go to the cemetery as a family on Christmas Day. Sounds morbid, but it's not. It's actually the highlight of our Christmas celebration for Stephen and I. We bring the kids and take pictures. The Pederson family always meets us there. This year my parents, Maren, my uncle Gary, Aaron and Kristen and two of their kids, Eve and Gabriel met us there also. My Dad is there and he reads from 1 Thess. 4:13-18.

"But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers, about those who are asleep, that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep. For this we declare to you by a word from the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. For the Lord himself will descend from heaven with a cry of command, with the voice of an archangel, and with the sound of the trumpet of God. And the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we will always be with the Lord. Therefore encourage one another with these words."

Grace would have been 9 this Christmas. The first Christmas after she died, we went to the cemetery. Dad read scripture and we all cried. We cried a lot. I was pregnant with Isaiah and fear crept into my thinking again. I didn't want to go through another child's death. But now I have three healthy children. Last year, I saw a reflection of myself 8 years ago. We went to the cemetery and there was a couple celebrating Christmas with their family at the graveside of their child. It was so sad...it was so me 8 years ago. But now my children run through the cemetery and play hop scotch on the headstones. They talk about death like it's a natural thing. They blow the pinwheels in the ground and try to pick out the best teddy bear...they let me know which kid got the best flowers that year. They have life and they aren't afraid to show it!

Yes, it's sad to think of what life would have been like if Grace hadn't died. But I probably wouldn't have Twerp #1 if she had lived. Nor Twerps #2 and 3. My family would be different...I would be different. I'm a better mom and wife because she died. My values have changed and the things that I view important have changed. Christmas is better because she died. Jesus was born for her and for me. Grace has life because of His death and resurrection.

Ask our children who had the best Christmas this year...they'll say that Grace did. She gets to celebrate Christmas with the Birthday Boy Himself! The first Christmas without her she celebrated with her Savior, Great-Grandpa Pederson and her Grandpa Margala. A few years later she was joined by her Great-Grandma Pederson and then her Great-Grandpa Margala. In the blink of an eye, she will celebrate with her Great Grandma Eikum and Great Grandpa Eikum...her Grandpa Pederson and then her Grandma Pederson. In many years (I hope) I will finally get to celebrate the birth of my Savior with her too.

Going to the cemetery is not a sad occasion for me anymore. Sure, it makes me a little teary every once in a while, but I am filled with JOY every time I go there. Watching the kids run around, laugh, chase each other and play reinforces the attitude that I should have about my life and my family.

OH...and there's always the chance that you'll catch your 4 1/2 year old trying to be an angel. That makes it all worthwhile! (See picture below). Merry Christmas. Hold your family close and treasure the time you get to spend with them. I love you!

Michal


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think of Grace when I think of your children, and am so appreciative of the way all of you have chosen to make her a part of each Christmas. I know I should not feel as I do, but I generally do not mention a person who has died because I feel it may turn a relatively joyful time into a sad time, though I do understand they are most likely on the minds of those who lost the person, anyway.
I need to work on that! Did you take any pictures of her?
Love to all,
Bev