Wednesday, December 31, 2008

I may not be a grandmother... :(

My twerp #2 has been talking about not having kids. It started slowly when she learned that you have to have a shot when you have a baby (blood drawn). I told her it wasn't a big deal and that it only happened once. Or more, but I didn't mention that to her. She asked if it hurts when you have a baby. I said, "Yes, but you forget about it after you're holding your baby." A few weeks later she asked if you had to be married to have children. A resounding YES came out of my mouth. A couple of months ago she said, "Mom, I'm not going to get married."


What! Why not? "Because then I'd have to have a baby. I'm not going to have babies. It hurts." I assured her that you don't have to have children if you get married. There are a lot of people that are married that don't have children. She reminded me that she doesn't have a friend yet that she would want to marry and since she can't pick her cousins...she'd rather not get married at all.


It took us a couple of weeks to convince her that she can get married...she can not have children...and she's not supposed to find her husband until after college. OK. Situation averted.

Until yesterday. She got her IV. She asked, "Mom, did you have to have one of these things in your hand when you were in the hospital to have a baby?" Ugh. Gulp. "Yes, I did, but remember, after you three kids were born, I forgot all about it!" "That's what I thought. Yeah, I most definitely am NOT having kids. I will never go through this again."


Bummer. I remember when I was in the hospital giving birth and after I was all done with the gross stuff and the baby had been wiped off, the first person I wanted to hold the baby besides Stephen was my mom. Not my mother-in-law. (No offense, Deanna.) I wanted my mom to come in the room and take the baby from me and coo and rock back and forth.


But is Twerp #2 isn't going to have a baby, then I'm going to the be Mother-In-Law. I won't be the first one in the room. Here's to hoping that her future "friend husband" can make her change her mind...because at the age of 5 1/2, she's not even close!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tell twerp #2 I think she is brave now and can do anything she needs to do to get well when she is sick.
I also think you will be a grandmother to her children some day.
Bev