Sunday, December 21, 2008

Merry Christmas!

It's been a long time since I've written a post...but things have been crazy! I had to explain to Stephen that we lost a week's time this year between Thanksgiving and Christmas in comparison to last year. I haven't gotten my Christmas cards out yet...and won't be able to until after Christmas. So...some of you might receive this twice, but this is the only way I can get out any Christmas greeting until next week. I was "dared" by a friend to write a "non-glowing" Christmas letter so here it is!







Well, it’s the week between Christmas and New Years and I have yet to send out my Christmas card. Better late than never...right? Isn’t that the motto of a mom with three children? So...I thought that instead of telling you how wonderful and perfect our children are, I would tell you how wonderful and perfect the parents are. Let me show you examples of the wonderful parenting style that Stephen and I have adopted by giving you some examples in our children...because we all know that our children behave how the parents behave, right?

Twerp #3 (4 1/2) started school this year. It is his first year of preschool because we didn’t get the whole “potty training” thing down until a couple months shy of his 4th birthday. One hot fall afternoon, the kids were playing out on the playground. One little girl in his class was “hot and sweaty” and Twerp #3 proceeded to cool her off by pouring a pitcher of water over her head. One day he was pushed from behind while standing in line to go to chapel. So...as the line leader...he turned around and pushed the little boy who first pushed him. That little boy fell backwards and like a line of dominoes, all the children in the class fell on their bottoms. What have Stephen and I been teaching him? We’ve taught him to look out for others when they’re not feeling well and to try to make them feel better. We’ve also taught him to treat others as he’s been treated.

Twerp #2 ( 5 1/2) is in Kindergarten. She LOVES school and can’t wait to go to school each day from 11:10—2:30. Twerp #2 loves to sing. She loves it so much that she sings while she’s working on her class work. Lately she’s been singing Away in the Manger for all to hear. One little boy said, “Twerp #2, could you please stop singing, you’re annoying me.” Twerp #2 turned around and said, “I’m singing a nice song and it’s not annoying and I won’t stop singing. You’ll just have to go to another room.” (I was the parent helper in class that day.) During her parent/teacher conference, Mrs. Call told Stephen and I that Twerp #2 talks a lot in class and interrupts others work. What have Stephen and I been teaching her? We’ve taught her to enjoy the arts and to not worry about what others think of her. We’ve also taught her to make friends.

Twerp #1 (7 1/2) is in 2nd grade. He is really enjoying this year and is in a class that does lots of science and writing. At his parent/teacher conference, we learned that he’s been talking a lot in class and he loses a lot of classroom tickets each week—he only keeps enough to be the one to get out first at the end of the week. We also learned that his handwriting is not very good...atrocious to some. We need to work on his printing so that it’s easier to read—something Stephen could work on too! What have Stephen and I been teaching him? We’ve taught him that school is the place to make some of your best friends and that communication is important in a good friendship. We’ve also taught him that computers are commonplace and that if Daddy could get by with his printing, then Twerp #1 can get by until he starts bringing a laptop to school.

So...how are Stephen and I doing? Think we need a parenting class? Maybe. But, we’re all alive. The Friday before Christmas was crazy. We had three class parties. I had to bring food items to each party. I also had to wrap 5 teacher gifts, write on 6 teacher cards, make sure that the kids each had their gifts in their bags, food in their bags, I had to bring two brunch casseroles to our last MOPS meeting, 20 muffins to MOPS and somehow take a shower. At this point, I’m really looking forward to Jr. High when the kids don’t have all these parties and gifts to bring.

God has been good to our family this year. We are all healthy, happy and enjoy our family life a lot. We are involved in MOPS, cub scouts, park dates, dates with the kids, dates as a couple, baking together, reading books together, playing lots of board games and having fun. I love staying home with the kids. I love making a home for Stephen. Stephen, by the way, started a new job after 12 years at his last company and is loving it. Our adoption is still going and we hope that we’ll be able to travel in just over a year to pick up our daughter. Please keep her in your prayers.

Merry Christmas to you all! Happy New Year! Love, The Margala Family.

2 comments:

Maren said...

Love the Christmas letter. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

What a great Christmas card! I copied, pasted and printed, so our family could read it while they are here, so there's no need to send us another one, if you were considering doing that.
Bev