Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Boy to Man in 3 years flat!?!!!

I've heard that boys and girls are remarkably alike until just before they hit puberty. For example, when my 7-year old cries because he's frustrated, that's normal. Granted, boys will be more involved with sports and legos and other "boy stuff" but as far as emotions go, they are very similar to girls until the pre-teens.

OK. That's good. I understand that I should expect my boys to be like my girl for a while longer. I was used to that. I had it down. I can deal with the tears and frustration and whining.

But then comes "nuthin'." What did you do at school today? "Nuthin'." Where do you want to go this afternoon? "I dunno." What do you want for dinner? "(silence)." If I gave you a million dollars, would you answer my question about school? "you don't have a million dollars...so, no."

I thought that boys were supposed to talk to their moms. I thought that boys didn't turn into quiet, non-answering men until the pre-teen years. Who gave me this false impression about my boys?!? I have three more years until Twerp #3 becomes just like Twerp #1 and then I'll have three people that don't talk in the house and it'll just be Twerp #2 and I conversing at dinner. She'll tell me about her afternoon. She'll tell me about who's nice at school and who talks too much in class and who she shared her lunch with. It's not about pulling teeth with Twerp #2, it's just about getting in our conversation. Ahhhhh...the life of a girl.

No comments: