Friday, June 26, 2009

A Visit with Great-Grandma


Last Monday, we went to visit Stephen's Grandmother. LaVonia is an amazing Grandmother and we love her so much. We were supposed to go for a picnic...at a park...something we do quite often in our family. However, this was no ordinary picnic. From now on, my kids will expect an amazing picnic.

When we were planning on the food, Grandma said, "I'll bring some sandwiches and fruit and juice. If there is anything else that the kids will need, you can bring that." So...I brought nothing. I figured that if my kids needed more than that then that would just be too bad. When we went to pick up Grandma, she came into the car with a cooler and a picnic basket. As soon as we got to the park, she put out a tablecloth. Hmmmm...nice touch, I thought. Then came the individualized place mats for each child. Hmmmmm...really nice tough.

Then came the sandwiches out of the cooler. There were four kinds for the kids. Ice cream cone shaped sandwiches with meat and cheese. Elephant cut sandwiches with Ham and Cheese. There were star shaped sandwiches with plain turkey and then circle shaped sandwiches with PB&J. Sandwich heaven! Twerp #1 couldn't get enough. He ate so many sandwiches that he gave himself a stomach ache. Twerp #2 loved the variety and the cute shapes. She ate one, maybe two and was full. Twerp #3 wanted to try one of each of them. As for us adults, we each had a turkey and cheese sandwich complete with lettuce. They were cut on the diagonal. I never cut on the diagonal. But somehow, it made them more yummy. I'll be cutting on the diagonal more from now on!



She had carrots with a raspberry dipping sauce. She had apples and a apple slicer that she brought. The apple juice was frozen in paper cups with a straw stuck in the middle. They had been thawing just enough to make a perfect slushy. She even brought chocolate pudding for dessert. Yummy.

How can my picnic's compare in the future?!? I just throw a few PB&J sandwiches in a big bag - sometimes even the leftover bag that the bread came in if I use all the pieces. Not particularly attractive. I bring the entire bag of pretzels and just throw some on the paper towel we use for a plate. It's very minimal and very "throw it all in the trash when we're done." But...and this is a huge but...my kids will never forget Grandma LaVonia's picnic.

Grandma, you're amazing! We love you and we love the way that you make each of us feel so very special! Thank you for being in our lives!




Blog Signature

No comments: