Wednesday, July 2, 2008

95% of the time

Stephen, he's a cute one. Very smart too. You see, we had another couple over for dinner one night. They started to bicker about something dumb. We all do that, right? You know, where one of us says, "That's a nice black shirt you have on." Then the other says, "Black? This is navy blue!" And then it starts. Black. Navy Blue. It's dumb, right? I mean, who really cares if the shirt is black or navy. We all care. You can't not admit it that deep in your heart, you want to be the one who is right.

So my husband looks at the guy we had over for dinner and says, "You know, your wife is probably right. You just gotta give in." And then he pulls out his wallet. And he fishes around in there for a little piece of paper. It's all ripped up around the edges. It's faded and it is about to rip down the middle where it's been folded. Well, he opens it up and shows it to the guy. He says, "Ever since Michal and I got married I've been keeping track of the times that she's been right and the number of times that I've been right. Turns out, she's right 95% of the time."

I almost fell off my chair! We'd been married for 8 years! He's been keeping track of little, dumb arguments for the last 8 years! Holy smokes! And...I've been right 95% of the time! YAHOO! The guy we had over for dinner looks at Stephen and says, "Man, I wouldn't have admitted that if I were you."

You see, that's my husband. Smart. A little anal about the details, but he's not afraid. Nope. Not afraid of the consequences that followed. You see, now every time we have a argument about something dumb I'll usually say, "You know, I'm right 95% of the time." At this point he'll either say, "Yeah, you're right" and give up or he'll push it to see if this will be one of the 5% for him. Then...when I'm right in the end, he'll always say, "You were right, Michal."

It makes me smile. It makes me love him that much more. He's no scaredy cat.


No comments: