Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Watercolor Painting

So last night, I went to the Sawdust Festival for a watercolor class. The Sawdust festival is held in Laguna Beach every year. I didn't know until this year that at 7:00 on Sundays through Thursdays, the artists hold a free class. How cool! So, I decided to drop the kids off with Stephen at his work and high tail it down for a class.

The lady has a beautiful pot of flowers on the table. I thought to myself, "Wow, artists even like to dress up the table for a simple class." I never thought in a million years that that was the subject we were going to be painting. I was dead wrong.

So...I started to make a sketch of the flowers. I started to paint. It wasn't pretty. After awhile, the artist goes to get a "sample" of the flowers that she painted just last week. I almost fell out of my chair. First of all, her painting actually looked like the sample flowers in the pot. Secondly, her painting looked eerily familiar.

I waited for awhile before pouncing on her with questions. I asked her if she had a studio down by the beach. She said that she used to. I told her that for my wedding my parents gave us a watercolor of our wedding flowers. I told her that her style looked very much like the painting we have in our living room. Sure enough, it was the same lady. She even remembered the exact painting that she had painted for us. She remembered my mom...the lady who had a son and daughter married one month apart and the three paintings she painted for Aaron, Maren and I.

After class, she "suggested" that we get a mat for our "painting" and frame it. She said that you'll be surprised at how great they look once they're framed. I may do that, but I sure won't be putting it on the wall next to her painting. I'll just tell people that one of my kids did it. They won't question that in the least!

This is my painting...like I needed to spell that out for you. It could be any kind of flower you want. I was not made to be an artist!

This is the painting that she did of my bridal bouquet. So beautiful...and I'm so thankful that it wasn't a "paint your own bouquet class."

No comments: