Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Hands Free Law!

We have a new law here in California. It's the Hands Free Law. That means that you can't talk on the cell phone while you're driving. You simply can't hold the phone up to your face. However, if you don't have a headset, you can just text someone the message. Can you believe that? How stupid! I can't believe that I can't call my friend to let her know that I'm late, but while driving down the 5 freeway I can text her to let her know. Dangerous? Yeah, I think so.


So a couple of weeks ago I went to AT&T Mobility to find something that would allow me to talk on the phone. I asked for one of those ear buds that has the microphone further down the wire and then plugs into your phone. I was told (by the punk behind the counter), "Mam, those are old technology. What you need is Bluetooth." First of all, Mam? Didn't like that one bit. Call my mother mam, but not me! Secondly, old technology? I don't think so. I said, "Typewriters are old technology. TV's without a remote are old technology. Cell phones with a wired headset...not so much. Can I see what you have?" Again, the punk behind the counter said, "Well, mam, we don't sell those old types of headsets. I have this Bluetooth to show you." I walked out.


That night we called Radioshack. Actually, I called 8 of them. None of the stores had the item I was looking for: "Mam, we have a Bluetooth..." Blah, blah, blah. The next day I looked at the Bluetooth things at Costco. It was cheaper than at AT&T Mobility...and since no one had the wired headsets...I forked over the money.


I hate Bluetooth. It needs to be charged. Ugh...something else to have fully charged before we get in the car. I have trouble just keeping my cell phone charged. Plus, with kids in the car, Bluetooth is hard to talk with. Let's say that I'm talking to my sister. We're having a nice chat, but then the kids start to argue about something. BB (before Bluetooth), I could have said, "hold on a second" and then put the phone face down on my leg before telling the kids to be quiet and stop fighting. But now, AB (after Bluetooth), I can only turn around and my sister gets to hear me yelling at my kids. Lovely. Just lovely.


AB (after Blutooth) I can barely talk on the phone because it's not always charged - the Bluetooth I mean. If it is charged, then my cell phone is not charged. If it is charged AND my cell is charged, then the people that I'm talking to get to hear my kids (and me getting after my kids) just as much as they get to hear me. Bluetoth sucks. I hate it. Thanks California for making me want to text rather than talk. But, I don't know how to text...yeah, old school. Sigh. I guess I'll just talk to my kids and husband in the car from now on.


BUT...a few days ago I got an email from my friend. It made me smile, people! Why didn't I think of this myself! I'm sure in my 80's box I have a wide headband somewhere! This guy is genius!!!


No comments: